Longley Old Hall Open days Visiting Brief history
Layout of the Hall Latest news Group visits
THE HALL TODAY
Architectural evidence points to the oldest parts of the Hall dating from the mid - 14th century to the early 15th century. The earliest specific reference found so far is an Inquisition record of "the old hall" of 1574, but an entry in William Ramsden’s Commonplace Book of 1544 refers to the purchase timber to repair his "house at Longley".
The structure is a mixture of medieval, Tudor, Jacobean and Victorian building work. Parts of it were demolished at unknown dates and the timbers re-used in the later works. Slowly, the building is revealing its history.
Whilst most of the renovation work has finished small matters crop up that need attention. Archive research and an archaeological survey may provide more information about the development of the Hall and the people who lived here, but the dates of most of the building alterations remain a mystery.
The Elizabethan garden in the front of the house is just about complete, based on a design by Dr. Sylvia Lansberg for the garden at the Tudor House Museum, Southampton.
Ralph Bevis 2007